Monday, November 20, 2017

To be honest, this week was a tough one for me.

To be honest, this week was a tough one for me. Emotionally, and spiritually. Me and my companion have had quite a rough week. All week I've been having a hard time. I come home every night and I fall to my knees to have a better day the next day. They have been very long days if you want me to be honest. I feel we aren't doing much here in Kukulcan. we walk all day and never once stop and contact people. I think in my head 'Why am I here if we aren't going to go up to this person?'  They all need it. But I just keep walking cause I'm afraid my companion will just say keep walking or I don't feel good about it. I've heard that phrase a bunch this week, maybe its good idk.

So let's start with some stories.

So we kinda have an investigator, kinda because they don't really show up to appointments. Anyways, my companion had a feeling we should go visit them. Their name is basto yama familia. So we start heading over and its like a twenty minute walk. We get there and they don't answer, cause nobody is home. So we just sat on the "sidewalk" (really just dirt with a curb) and we just waited for like ten minutes. Anyways, we wait and wait, and then I was like, 'K nobody is coming let's go'. So we start walking back and theirs a tienda (store) to the right in this one part, and I look over and there they are! They're like 'Hermanos'!!!  So we walk back to their house with them and talk (for probably too long) and they invited us to eat pastries with them so we said 'Yes!'.  We didn't teach a lesson (which is kinda frustrating), but all in all I think it was a miracle. 

All missionaries had to get shots this week (I think it was influenza). So we all had fevers that day and I had super bad dia...  So that sucked.  Mom--I'm drinking lots of water don't worry.  I wake up every night and go to the restroom cause I drink so much. 

Oh my--they eat this food here that is legit chicken and grease.  And its super impolite top not eat it all. And its super popular here in Yucatan so everybody eats it (or feeds it to us).  So I was like 'I know I'm going to get sick, but I have to do this or they'll think I'm being disrespectful.'   I walked out of that house and about threw up. I was so sick to my stomach.  I was sick for the rest of the night.

Well you guys remember that guy that was my first contact!? Yep--we taught them this week and it went so well. I think it went well, and both him and his wife excepted. So that lesson was our only lesson this week. Don't really wanna go into detail what has happened this week, but let's just say we taught one lesson this whole week.

Well I have been thinking all week (and repenting all week for forgiveness). We had to go to centro for something in the middle of the week. We were walking and we were trying to cross the street, and this guy in a wheelchair was physically and mentally handicapped and he tapped my arm gently, and just said in the best of his ability "Uhhh"--like he wanted to be helped across the street. I wasn't too sure why I didn't help, and I have been thinking all week about it. I walked across that street and I thought about that man for the rest of the night. Just imagine (and I imagined this) how many people have looked at him and walked across the street without helping him. I have been hoping and praying for Heavenly Father's forgiveness for doing that the other day.

Well, I'll just share a little thing that happened at the beginning of the week. So my companion and I had just finished studying and we were going to plan our day. He says, 'Elder Hall plan our day please'.  And i got frustrated a little because I've never been taught how to plan a day or anything like that cause we don't look at the 12 week book at all for some reason. So I just sat there and wrote some names down that I had felt we should see. and he was cooking himself breakfast which was kinda annoying. So I just put my head down and read the antiguos investigators and he came back with his food and he said 'Nope, you don't have the Spirit with you right now'.   I said 'What'?   He said, 'You're in a bad mood and when your in a bad mood you can't have the Spirit'.   I was 'bout to blow my cap. I was frustrated cause I've literally been training myself for 3 weeks.   Then I don't have a trainer I honestly feel.  I kinda told him how I felt and he just said I need to follow the Spirit.   I got real mad when he said that, and I said, 'You know Elder Olguin, I love you, but that is not right. That isn't how the Spirit works. You can't just tell me to plan our day when I don't even know how to plan a day'.  I told him that he needed to actually teach me how to do stuff 'cause that's why he's my trainer.

Well yesterday, I taught Gospel Principles class. It was a lot harder than I expected. It lasted only 45 minutes (which was kinda impressive), then my companion took the rest. 

Oh my--we went to the familia Tec house on Saturday and we had a classic dish here in Yucatan. PANUCHOS. Oh my, they were so good. I invited them to Oregon after my mission so they can cook them for my coming home dinner thingy haha. 

Hey you guys wanna learn a little Mayan? I've been trying to pick Maya up as well.  All of the older people know Maya and will talk to you in Maya if you ask. Its very similar to English. This is how you pronounce it: bashcaloweek< means how are you.  sacoom´- brother  keek-sister

Well all in all, its been a week of testing for me. Me and my companion have had some challenges that have made me wonder what my purpose of being out here is. And I've come to realize it isn't about me. Its not MY purpose. Its the Lord's work, and He's the only person I need to please. Writing Seth and my dad and hearing from Britta and their thoughts on what has happened this week, has helped me realize that other missionaries opinions, my companion's opinion, my leaders' opinion, my mission president's opinion of me don't matter. Sure some people here think I'm prideful cause I say usted listo to my companion. (Literally it means I'm prideful if I say that??) But the only opinion that really matters is Heavenly Father's opinion. 

Before the mission I cared a lot about what other people thought about me, and how other people saw me. But to be honest, I could care a less now. I'm going to let them think I'm a prideful rich (ha) boy from the United States, but one thing they will soon come to find out is that I'm one of the hardest working missionaries out here. I could care less what they think about me. That's just straight up how I feel haha (please don't take it wrong). 

I've missed my family a bunch this week--especially the babies. Seriously, I miss them so much (a tear just fell on the keyboard haha). 

I love you all and miss you all.   Please continue to be yourselves. 

Love God and serve others. 

K peace out.   I'll send my few pictures I took this week right now

K peace 

Elder Hall












This is what I imagine the bug, lowered and two toned!


No comments:

Post a Comment